Mold in your basement? Mold has certainly made its way into people’s homes as well as the headlines recently. Many people still don’t fully understand the health hazards of fungal exposure.
The term toxic mold is somewhat misleading as it exudes an idea that certain molds are toxic, when actually certain types of molds produce secondary metabolites that produce toxins. The correct term is mycotoxins.
Airborne mycotixins can definitely destroy one’s health. Sometimes, people are unaware that they are breathing mold spores and mycotoxins until they are very sick.
Certain people have a minor allergic reactions to some molds, but once you leave the affected area they most likely recover with few serious side effects. However, if they have been exposed to the dangerous molds such as Stachybotrys or Chaetomium, they could suffer from a myriad of possibly lasting health consequences.
Molds are grouped three groups according to the response to humans Allergenic, Pathogenic and Toxigenic.
Allergenic molds do not typically cause life-threatening health effects but will negatively affect those who are already asthmatic or allergic. Those allergic or asthmatic can suffer mild conditions such as dry itchy throat, coughing and basic allergy type affects.
Pathogenic molds typically can cause an infection in the body. Those with a weakened or suppressed immune system can incur serious health risks from these types of mold. Those with healthy immune systems will usually fight off the infection from this mold.
Mycotoxins have the capability to cause very negative affects to one’s health regardless their immune system strength. These molds can have affects of minor irritation ranging as dangerous as cancer. In any case when toxigenic molds are found we take the procedure very seriously.
These forms of most can cause symptoms and illnesses such as chronic bronchitis, learning disabilities, mental deficiencies, heart problems, cancer, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue, lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple chemical sensitivity, bleeding lungs and much more.
Premier Waterproofing takes mold very seriously
Most homeowners finish their basements before installing a french drain system – which leads to seepage, high humidity and mold growth
Premier Waterproofing is extremely aggressive when it comes to mold cleanup, and our basement waterproofing systems eliminate all sources of dampness and safeguard your home against future infiltration of mold.
The video above outlines some of our approach. If you live in Southeastern PA or NJ and believe there may be mold in your basement, please don’t hesitate to contact us to inspect the issue and provide a no-fee, no-obligation estimate.